[digiKam-users] Bye bye digikam?

Torstein Hall hall.torstein at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 10:30:32 BST 2021

I have used Digikam for the past months and find the database function to
be excellent, but one or two serious issues has appeared for my use. One
serious and one not so serious...

I only shoot in RAW and usually takes a lot more pictures than I need, so
some serious deleting is necessary after a photo session. But when I look
at the photos in the thumbnail window it only shows the built in .jpg
files. (In my case Olympus .orf files.) This are not good enough to
determine if the picture passes my quality control. The result, I have to
open another program to do the culling of pictures. This problem is a
serious showstopper for my use.

Another issue I have with digikam that's not a showstopper. The photo edit
functions are practically useless to me. To open a new "modul" for each
different operation is too cumbersome. So why not use something else as an
editor, like GIMP or whatever.  Or maybe it would be possible to have a
stripped down version without edit functions?

Torstein