[digiKam-users] Hardware Suggestion for Digikam

jdd at dodin.org jdd at dodin.org
Tue Jul 13 09:22:28 BST 2021

Le 13/07/2021 à 09:46, Tonio Kroeger a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I have been working with Digikam for many many years now! Great software!!

same here :-)

> bottleneck. My files are quite large, 50 megapixels, Jpegs upto 20mbyte,
> Raws 90mbyte.

mine are not that large and I switched from full frame to µ4/3 :-)

> So what with Digikam in mind should I take account for? My pictures will
> reside on an external USB-Harddrive.

I use mostly an external *usb3* 6Tb hdd. But if performance is a
problem, it's easy to keep the last folder/album on the (two 1Tb) ssd I
have in my laptop and copy it to hdd archive later on.

disable the "scan on start" option...

> SQLLite-Database a reasonable sized internal SSD.*

1Tb sata is cheap nowaday

> So my questions: What do you think about the size of main memory?

I have 16Gb and don't have problems. If you keep the current edit folder
in ssd ram shouldn't be a problem

Should
> I consider to switch from external Harddisk to an internal solution (A
> 2.5'' disk will be too small)?

I have 2.5" hdd of 5Tb (external, that said)

I use a 5/6 years old laptop with i7, two sata ssd (no nvme, alas - one
of the ssd is in a dvd caddy)

jdd

--
http://dodin.org