[digiKam-users] Switching from workstation internal databases to NAS or Cloud

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Jan 26 17:58:35 GMT 2021

Budge <ajebay at errichel.co.uk> wrote:
> Real beginner here just starting with digiKam. I am increasingly needing
> to work at different site and wish to use my laptop for editing tags and
> sorting pictures.
>
> I understand there are suggestions for keeping my databases on a NAS and
> using MariaDB but many appear to be quite old.
>
> Are there any up-to-date instructions on how I can do this using a NAS
> and is it possible to do this similarly but using cloud storage? Please
> could somebody suggest the best links for these instructions.

Unless you keep *all* the picture files as well as the database on
your NAS I don't see the advantage.  In fact I see lots of problems if
the pictures are not on the same system as the database.

If you keep *everything* on the NAS then that'll work OK but it will
be slow, even with Gigabit networking and a fast NAS disk drive.

Cloud storage would be even slower.

I have Digikam running on my (moderately fast, I5) desktop machine
using an SSD.  It runs quite nicely with something like 30k images,
images and database are on the same machine.

To run from my laptop I use x2go (a remote desktop app, like VNC) and
across a fast network that's acceptable.

I.e. my advice would be to keep images and database in one place with
a fast disk drive.  Use a remote desktop to do things from elsewhere.

--
Chris Green
ยท