[digiKam-users] Manage RAW+JPEG pairs

SDX sdx at inbox.lv
Thu Feb 25 07:26:42 GMT 2021

Hello, I am learning how to migrate to DigiKam myself and what I found is:

1- it is possible to "group" JPG and RAW together by using quite strange
interface. Here is one detailed discussion:
http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/Group-JPG-and-RAW-td4692504.html#a4692684
(at least "Group by filename" works in 7.2)

2- BUT after trying out grouping I noticed that face tags were still not
applied to JPG&RAW together and this grouping is half-manual work. So I
decided that an easier method for now is:
https://scribblesandsnaps.wordpress.com/2011/08/03/quick-tip-disable-certain-file-types-in-digikam/.

So I disabled all RAW files in DigiKam by adding string: "-RW2; -CRW; -CR2;
-NEF; -ORF; -RAF; -PEF; -PTX; -ARW; -RAW; -DNG" to MIME types for pictures.
This is not perfect, but this way:

I can use .xmp sidecars for videos (and there is no .xmp for each RAW file)
I can tag each JPG file once and not do it twice for the RAW file as well.
I have a small Python script that I can use to delete all orphaned RAW files
that are left behind.

Not ideal, but this is how I plan to not-use RAW files in DigiKam. :)