[digiKam-users] The woes of a Windows 10 digikam newbie user

The Man in Black kolam72002 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 20:46:48 GMT 2021

Hello!
My configuration: Windows 10, digiKam7.1.0 stable release.

First, digiKam is unable to detect my Nikon 800E when it is connected to the computer.I understand that might be a Windows driver problem...so, I physically copy the files from the camera onto the computer's hard drive.
Next: digiKam is unable to open the folder containing the images (jpeg or raw, doesn't matter).All items under "Album" are grayed out.Under "Import" the Cameras option doesn't work (see above).The "Add Folders" and "Add Images" are grayed out.
What do I need to do, on Windows, for digiKam's easy import of images into albums (which I organize under year/month/date)?It doesn't matter whether that import is from the camera or the computer's local hard disk (I'd prefer the former but I can work around the possibility digiKam may not be ready for prime time in directly importing from some camera makes/models on Windows).
If digiKam is ill suited for importing from folders (or cameras) on Windows, what other open source software is comparable to digiKam and works on Windows?