[digiKam-users] Digikam

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 22:17:43 BST 2021

Le mer. 28 avr. 2021 à 22:56, jdd at dodin.org <jdd at dodin.org> a écrit :

> Le 27/04/2021 à 16:05, Cécile Legrix a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a question before using Digikam : I am working for an
> > organisation, we are about 20 people.
> >
> > - If using Digikam, is it possible to have a person (or 2) as
> > administrator who manage Digikam, and a few other persons who can use
> > and just download pictures?
>
> digikam albums are only system folders, so yes
>

> > - Also, we have about 103 Go pictures to manage, is it ok for Digikam?
>
> many people have much more
>

> > - Is it possible to manage also videos?
> >

> yes and no. You can't *edit* videos from digikam (use kdenlive or
> avidemux instead - the workflow is different), but you can have some
> video mixed with photos, although it's not optimal

But for the video support for management purposes, yes. We use ffmpeg in
background (and in the future ExifTool) to extract video metadata and
populate the database with important properties. So yes, searching video is
well supported.

Thumbnails and preview of video work well, as ffmpeg is used in the
background to render stream. Editing is delegated to extra applications.