[digiKam-users] How to reorganize collections

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon Apr 26 06:03:53 BST 2021

On lundi 26 avril 2021 00:32:47 CEST Jim Dory wrote:
> I would have just dragged (or moved) all the files into one of the existing
> folders, deleted the two now empty ones, and renamed the one they are all
> in. Would that lose data doing it that way?

That should work from within Digikam. Doing it outside Digikam can lose you
the information contained in the database (tags, descriptions, ...), unless
you use sidecars.

Otoh, I don't think that's what OP wants. I gathered he wants to retain his
current directory structure, but only have one collection pointing one level
above the three (or more?) current ones. Also, from his naming scheme, I
suspect he's using video mainly.

Perhaps, if he can write sidecars for his video files, he could just delete
the current databases, and start over with a new collection. as the sidecars
will be read in on creating the new collection, he shouldn't lose too much
information. This can be time-consuming for a large collection though.
Of course, as a precaution, make backups of the old databases before removing
them...

Remco