[digiKam-users] New to Linux. New to Digikam. Can't delete duplicate photos.

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Fri Sep 11 11:17:54 BST 2020

On mercredi 9 septembre 2020 23:59:49 CEST Rod Martin wrote:
> I installed the 7.0.0 version of Digikam a few days ago and am testing
> out importing some of my Apple Photos photos into Digikam as a test. I'm
> currently running Linux Mint 19.3.
>
> I did a search for duplicate images and found several. However, when I
> try to delete some, I am unable to and get the message: "Could not move
> image /pathto/pictureon/NAS/Album.png to collection trash."
>
> I'm not sure why I am unable to delete these images. Any suggestions?
If you use just the <delete> key, digikam tries to move the images (and
associated sidecar files) to a private trash directory.
It looks as if that directory doesn't exist on your system (permission
problem?), or that you/digikam don't have write permission for it (not
unlikely with a NAS).

As the same sourcecode for digikam has to run on different operating systems,
using the system trashcan wasn't feasible (too many differences between OSs),
so it uses a private trashcan.

But if you are *sure* that you want to get rid of the selected images,
<shift>+<del> permanently deletes them without passing through trash. Keep in
mind that this operation is irreversible, gone is gone.

Remco