[digiKam-users] Reverse geotagging and Location fields reported by exiftool

Dougie Nisbet dougie at katsura.uk
Mon Nov 23 15:20:47 GMT 2020

On 23/11/2020 11:42, Remco Viƫtor wrote:
> If your tag tree is consistent, it might be possible to update the sidecars
> through a script using Exiftool (then reread metadata through digikam).
> Sidecars only use XMP formatted metadata, IPTC fields are included through the
> proper namespace.

What I've found most distracting and interesting is that I'm beginning
to appreciate that the reverse geocoding can return different
information depending on how things are configured. Normally I use
OpenStreetMap in digikam, and I've noticed that geosetter is set up to
use geonames.org. I see now that I can select geonames in digikam too,
and I get slightly different results, although with less detail than
geosetter.

Now that I realise that digikam is using a tag tree for Places I'm quite
happy with that. I'm more curious that over the years some of my photos
have acquired some more quirky and interesting location names for
districts and villages when I've processed them with geosetter.

It probably isn't an either/or since I always write exif data to the
file. So if I do use another program, such as geosetter, and it writes
to IPTC fields, it will not conflict with digikam.

Dougie