[digiKam-users] Future of digiKam bundles...

Stuart T Rogers stuart at stella-maris.org.uk
Mon May 25 09:38:31 BST 2020

Having read a bit about flatpak now I do have some concerns.

Firstly it seems that the actual deliverable will be considerably larger
than the normal install of Digikam say on openSUSE because it will need
to bundle in all the required other software it needs whether or not the
base OS already has the correct levels and versions installed.

Secondly while it runs in a sandbox it will likely increase the memory
requirement needed over what would normally be used because all the
additional code needed for execution will be loaded even if it already
exists and is loaded in the OS.

Thirdly this seems to me to be a sledgehammer to crack a nut since I
have not heard of any security breaches being caused by running Digikam,
yes some other applications maybe should be sandboxed because of what
they do but I do not see the need for this with Digikam.

Lastly it needs additional software installed on my system which
currently I do not use. Appimage does not need anything in addition to
be able to test a new version of Digikam.

This seems to me to be a solution looking for a purpose.

Stuart
--
Website: https://www.stella-maris.org.uk
or:      https//www.broadstairs.org