[digiKam-users] Future of digiKam bundles...

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon May 25 09:21:10 BST 2020

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 08:03:20AM +0200, jdd at dodin.org wrote:
> Le 24/05/2020 à 22:48, Chris Green a écrit :
>
> > appimage or flatpak are taking the right approach to doing this.  They
> > all seem to be looking for a way to bypass the existing way of doing
> > things.
> >

> like did systemd today largely adopted

A rather different situation though - and I'm still chasing some bugs
and problems introduced by systemd. :-)

The issue with snap/appimage/flatpak (at least as I understand what
they're trying to do) is that they couldn't be used to provide all of
a system's software.  Systemd wholly replaces the old startup/init
system (with a few hooks for legacy software), snap/appimage/flatpak
*can't* replace the whole of the existing software distribution
system.

--
Chris Green