[digiKam-users] Accessing foto collections from different machines?

Peter Teuben teuben at gmail.com
Sat May 23 15:57:51 BST 2020

I've recently been playing with some of these issues as a result of an
upgrade to Kubuntu20.   If you are talking about seeing them as a
removable collection, you could add them to your current default setup,
but this might involved re-initializing the database, which for 130MB
(just?) might take a while. At least for me, it could be that this is
because I store the metadata in the JPG, and not in a sidecar file

I believe you can also trick digikam in starting up with a different
~/.config/digikamrc file, e.g. I believe this works:

     digikam --database-directory /photos/db --config /photos/db/digikamrc

but even in that case the identifier in the AlbumRoots would need to be
adjusted, and perhaps the specificPath as well, but then you should be
able to be "up" right away.

I didn't like this idea, since I would want all of the pictures in the
same database.

I am still in the middle of this upgrade, and as I posted in another
message, my trickery defeated me trying to say what's a removable and
what's a local collection.

If you look in the Collection Settings, there is also a Network Shares
option.