[digiKam-users] Moving photos and database files

digikam at 911networks.com digikam at 911networks.com
Wed May 13 19:33:47 BST 2020

On Wed, 13 May 2020 18:04:34 +0100
Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> It's also not clear what is meant by 'files' in the above options
> and settings, are they image files, sidecar files, or both, or what?

Usually, it's not a good idea to write to the image file unless the
imagefile is a tiff or a jpeg. Personally, I use the lazy writing
with the sidecars written when I exit DK. It's very slow (w/o lazing
writing) when having to write 500 or 1000 files because I have
assigned a tag to a whole album.

It's much safer to write to the xmp. Then come the problem of the
format of the name of the xmp.

* file1.cr2 ==> file1.xmp (the lightroom format) DK can write to it
  if file other format doesn't exist yet. Then LR will read the
  changes.
* file2.cr2 ==> file2.cr2.xmp. Darktable will be able to read and
  write the xmp
* Rawtherapee doesn't care it has its own pp3 sidecar.

--
sknahT

vyS