[digiKam-users] QUESTION: How do I import images from my Canon to my computer system using Digikam?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed May 13 04:13:39 BST 2020

Hi,

This is a generic problem under Windows with PTP camera as Canon.

digiKam handle PTP devices using libgphoto2 which do not exists
officially under Windows. I tried to compile the library without
success.

Windows as a PTP driver that extra device layer from KDE do not
recognize yet : KF5::Solid. KDE Windows support is not enough advanced
as under Linux.

So we need extra native windows codes to communicate with the Windows
PTP driver.

Voilà for the technical details.

Solutions. Open your canon camera from Windows explorer and copy and
paste items to a temporary digiKam folder. It's not perfect, but at
least it will work to select right items.

Best

Gilles Caulier