[digiKam-users] QUESTION: How do I import images from my Canon to my computer system using Digikam?

James Orr james.orr at orrenterprises.us
Wed May 13 00:25:11 BST 2020

In all the time I have used DigiKam, I have been unable to use the import images capability. This has been so for me for many years. Right now I am using DigiKam Version 7.0.0-beta2 and I want to import my images from a Canon EOS 6D Mark II.

What I want to do is to connect my Win 10 Pro system to my camera using the USB cord that came with the camera. When I make the connection and turn the camera on, the Canon EOS Utility starts immediately. Also, in the list of devices for ThisPC, I see the camera listed as a device. I can select, copy and move files using Explorer. This is what I have been doing. It isn't what I wanted to do.

DigiKam lists my camera as one that is supported. However nothing in DigiKam recognizes that the camera in associated with my computer system. The device I see in Explorer is invisible. I've tried pointing to various USB ports to no avail. If I use EOS Utility, I can see all the images, and I can control the camera as well.

What do I need to do more, better, different?
--
James M. Orr

2705 E Sussex Way

Fresno CA 93726

I sincerely wish each of you, your family, friends, contacts, community the best of health in these times of pestilence and disease. There is no foreseeable end to proximity-distancing, and with that a concomitant need for social glue.