[digiKam-users] Face Recognition in Digikam 6.4.0 for Mac

Ronald Orenstein ron.orenstein at rogers.com
Wed May 13 04:10:30 BST 2020

I am just beginning to use the face recognition feature, and I have a few problems I hope you can help me with,
If Digikam misidentifies a face, I realize that I can change the identification, click "Remove" to remove the box around the face, or click the upper right hand corner to have the image ignored.  However, what I cannot seem to do is to simply remove the identification itself.  In other words, if Digikam identifies a face as so-and-so, and I know it isn't so-and-so but I don't recall who it actually is, can I simply remove any name and transfer the face to the Unknown tag?  The program seems to be resisting my efforts to do this.
Also, is there a way to do a global find and replace on a name tag, other than simply renaming the tag itself?  The reason I ask is because I was trying a work-around to the previous problem by simply renaming certain faces 'x'.  There seems to be no way, though, for me to change some of the faces tagged 'x' to the proper name without manually deleting the 'x' tag first for each face.
If I do delete a face tag, what happens to the face boxes?  Ideally I would have liked the files to go to the unknown category, but this does not seem to happen.
Also: I have been using Aperture (references), in which I have already identified many faces.  If I write the Aperture metadata to file, Digikam picks up the identification as a tag but not the face box, and the tagged files do not show up when I browse for "people" in Digikam.  Is there a way around this, as it would save a lot of retagging?
Finally, the program seems to crash frequently while I am working on faces.  I gather that version 7 uses a different face algorithm - would I be better off waiting for the mac version before scanning further?
Thanks for helping!
Ronald Orenstein
1825 Shady Creek Court
Mississauga, ON L5L 3W2