[digiKam-users] Video library

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed May 6 17:41:15 BST 2020

Just to be more precise technically : video metadata are read only and
handle with ffmpeg. Metadata extraction is limited.

We cannot use Exiv2 library here to manage video metadata. Exiv2 has
started few year ago to support video files, but code is very bugous
and not the feature is optional and will be removed in the future (as
i seen in developer thread on the project).

So, do not ask to have a better metadata support than XMP sidecar to
populate new properties. The only real solution is to revival the
Exiv2 video support (read/write), and this must be discussed with
Exiv2 team...

The alternative is to ask to ffmpeg project to improve at least the
video read metadata support.

Best

Gilles