[digiKam-users] managing old documents

Sveinn í Felli sv1 at fellsnet.is
Wed May 6 11:47:13 BST 2020

Salut,

One first thing; improve your original image as much as possible.
There's far too much difference of light between the upper and lower
parts of the photo [1], and there's not enough light. Smartphones suffer
in low lighting conditions. Try to illuminate the manuscript with at
least two steady light sources, ideally ones where you can control the
frequency and/or strength. Camera and lights on tripods, please.

You could then experiment with what Gilles suggested, personally I'd
though start by fiddling with "Levels" either in Digikam or Gimp. Once
you have a good recipe, you could proceed to batch-processing (but
according my experience of such old tanned paper, manual tuning will
always be necessary).

Here are some screenshots:

Levels in Gimp:
<http://sv1.fellsnet.is/myndvinnsla/dodin/Skj%C3%A1mynd%20fr%C3%A1%202020-05-06%2009-31-52.png>