[digiKam-users] Keyword (metadata) consistency between programs

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed May 6 08:06:34 BST 2020

Le mer. 6 mai 2020 à 08:49, Remco Viëtor <remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr> a écrit :

> OK, so I had a look at those ON1 files.
> First, those are *not* XML files, but look like json files.
>
> Second, while keywords are stored, I'm not sure the hierarchy is preserved
> (hard to see, as there's either no tree, or the tree has only one branch).
>
> So, if I understand correctly what you wrote in the accompanying text, the
> _1030666 sidecars were written by ON1. While the .ON1 file has two sections,
> the .XMP only has one section (no separate "raw" and "jpeg" sections).
>
> So from what you describe, digikam does *not* read the .ON1 files, which is
> understandable, as they are not XML data. I don't think digikam reads json
> format...

Yes, digiKam support standard. XMP sidecar are the standard, defined
by Metadata Working Group (including Adobe). XMP use XML format, not
JSON.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Metadata_Platform

There is no plan to support exotic sidecar file, as ON1 do.  ON1 must
use standards to improve interoperability, and not to re-invent the
wheel...

Best

Gilles Caulier