[digiKam-users] Failed to rename Album

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 06:54:02 GMT 2020

Maik,

In my office, i had a Windows computer running under Windows 10 with a
huge Qt based program dedicated to record measurement files in local
before to upload data in a remote database.

While this process i remember that local files cannot be cleaned in
local when uploading was complete. The file remove was based on QFile
class if i remember. The origin of the problem was the desktop search
engine from Windows running in background which look files in
parallel. In fact when you write a new file somewhere, Windows open
files in background to parse contents and reference metadata in a
search engine database.

Possible solutions :

1/ disable the search service from Windows
2/ set the search service to ignore specific  paths
3/ use a Windows API before to create new file to be ignored by the
search engine.
4/ use a Windows API to force to unlock file in all cases.

Note : the Windows file unlock mechanism is not managed by Qt API for
Windows. I remember to see a bug reported in Qt about this problem...

Gilles