[digiKam-users] How to interpret DigiKam error message when connecting to camera

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Jun 27 18:33:51 BST 2020

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 05:20:55PM +0100, a squared wrote:
>    I quite agree: "DK should allow the import". Sadly, DK doesn't agree
>    with us.
>    After almost 2 days of continuous playing around with this - focussing
>    on the automount factor - I have made zero progress. I note also that
>    there is very little available via Google search in the way of
>    solutions, although plenty of people have a similar problem. I can't
>    understand this: I am able to browse the content of the SD card in my
>    USB connected camera from Nemo. DK even autodetects the camera - and
>    then tells me it is not connected, when it clearly and effectively is.
>    I have to ask: was this function fully tested? The scenario suggests
>    there is some difference of opinion between Linux and DK. I'm not
>    capable of figuring this out. Yes, I could remove the SD card and use a
>    card reader, but this is a hassle and the card is not really meant to
>    be repeatedly removed from and re-inserted into the camera. The
>    function to read from the card while still in the camera is,
>    apparently, a function of DK.
>    When will it be offered in a working form or when will effective
>    problem source identification procedures be provided (that's a question
>    to the developers)?

I have to say I don't really understand the issue.  The operating
system should take care of file handling.  I just connect my camera
(by USB) and the OS mounts it automatically.  I then copy the files
from the camera into my Digikam album directory and the job is done.

Why should Digikam duplicate the (extensively tested and debugged) OS
file management utilities?

--
Chris Green