[digiKam-users] Problematic handling of file name conflicts when moving files

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jun 26 15:16:30 BST 2020

On vendredi 26 juin 2020 15:18:40 CEST Maik Qualmann wrote:
> We know the problematic, there is also a bug report and the desire for a
> dialog. Personally, I have no problems with the current way of working, nor
> do I like the constant dialogues that ask for anything. We introduced it
> when renaming files. However, users have actually asked where their
> overwritten files are. We are now moving them to the trash beforehand. I
> would be in the target folder for a simple automatic renaming...

Ideally, a dialog about duplicate files would appear before anything is moved/
written. I think that's what happens with the rename dialog? Undoing something
like a partial move is always a pain.

Otoh, with a setup where you can have identical file names, due to different
cameras especially, you are going to run into problems anyway at one time or
another. I think that points to a fundamental problem with the setup that
allows such duplicate names, for what are different images (as opposed to
different edits/versions of one image).

As for users asking where their *overwritten* files are, well, ... Blackboard,
write, wipe, write again; where's the first text?

Remco