[digiKam-users] Help with scripts

David Griffiths david at digitalgraphics.com.au
Wed Jun 3 05:49:57 BST 2020

Thanks Peter.

I am migrating from Picasa so I would be very interested in your script to capture
the captions if you are willing to share. I am not using sidecab files but I will
investigate.

Cheers,
DG

David
    I  used to have albums from Picasa, and each album had a little descriptor file, so I wind
up writing a python script that looked for that file and stuffed it into the appropriate field of the
digikam4.db file. But this only covers the album caption. not each photo. Since I store them
inside the JPG, they carried over easily :-)
My script can  be easily modified to use this album title in the tag/.... of each image in that
album, I've not tried that, but looking at the code, this is straightforward.
If you use the sidecab files (which i don't), it might even be easier, since you an create those
files with python quite easily.  Here's a page that might help you getting started
https://www.fastrawviewer.com/node/646
this way you don't need to play with the db file, but for each JPG you create a JPG.xmp file.
peter