[digiKam-users] flatpak instructions (for the README file)

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jun 1 19:10:27 BST 2020

On lundi 1 juin 2020 19:38:09 CEST Peter Teuben wrote:
> Another surprise (at least for Kubuntu):    I installed both the flatpak
> and the native app. And the GUI launcher where you type "digikam" only
> shows one, the beta luckily.   But on the command line i can still
> execute digikam natively.
>
> This sounds like a bug to me inthe Kubuntu system (or it's yet another
> setting)  How do others fare here, dare I ask ?

I think the title under which the program is made available to the GUI
launcher is determined by the packager of the version you install. It's a bit
much to expect the different maintainers to keep track of all the other ways
the program can be installed (parallel repositories, flatpak, appimage, local
build, ...). So the Kubuntu system in itself has no say over how a program
appears in the GUI launcher.

> It should be commented (and I will do that) that if you are running
> both, they will perhaps look at the same digikam4.db file, and this
> could lead to surprises. I keep a backup in case it got mangled, which
> it did in my case before I knew about the flatseal permissions I needed,
> as I lost whole albums and they would need to be rebuilt!

On the other hand, those installing several versions could be expected to know
what they are doing (the more so when they install *beta* versions).

 It's also important to keep the readme file as short as possible, most won't
read long instructions (and a readme that's not read is no better than no
readme)...

Remco