[digiKam-users] a wild idea or wish

neinei at gmx.net neinei at gmx.net
Tue Jul 28 08:15:15 BST 2020

I would like to second this.
Some sort of "object detection" would be a great addition to DigiKam.
For example, "OwnPhoto" claims to have it already implemented "Detect
objects in photos, and make them searchable by objects" using Object
detection: densecap, places365. See https://github.com/hooram/ownphotos
However the development of OwnPhoto seems somehow stuck in 2019 and it
might exist a fork already.
"Photoprism" seems an alternative using some AI stuff for image
classification, see:
https://docs.photoprism.org/developer-guide/metadata/classification/ and
in more general https://github.com/photoprism/photoprism
So, somehow object detection seems to be implemented in some open source
products.