[digiKam-users] Renaming lots of photo filenames (using convmv). Best practice?

Jens Benecke jens-digikam at spamfreemail.de
Fri Jul 17 17:53:12 BST 2020

Am 15.07.20 um 08:38 schrieb jdd at dodin.org:
> Le 14/07/2020 à 22:50, Jens Benecke a écrit :
>
>> But I am a little hesitant to rename >>100 photos using this tool.
>> I use XMP sidecars for all files which then will also be renamed. Do
>> these contain all metadata?
>>
> is it on Linux or Windows?

Linux.

> I have no experience on Windows with digiKam, but on Linux I'm pretty
> sure digiKam use file inode ID (dunno the exact name), not name,
> because you can easily test on a special folder than renaming with the
> OS is immediately visible in digiKam
> of course, the wmp file have to be renamed also
> else, use que batch digiKam system :-)

BQM does not work because I need to use 'convmv' which detects broken
UTF8 characters. BQM would amount to manual renaming, which would take
hours or days.

I'll try on one folder and see if the rating etc. is transferred. Should
I keep Digikam running during the rename for it to recognize a rename
(instead of "one file removed, another one added")?

--
Regards, Jens