[digiKam-users] Client/Server: Indexing possible on server?

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Fri Aug 28 15:12:18 BST 2020

On vendredi 28 août 2020 14:50:51 CEST jdd at dodin.org wrote:
> Le 28/08/2020 à 14:06, Remco Viëtor a écrit :
> > About the only option I can think of is installing Digikam on the remote
> > server, and use something like Teamviewer to access the server to use
> > digikam.
> pretty easy, if the server is under linux (likely), but don't expect to
> use digikam to edit images (that need having them local)

Well, in such a setup the image files *are* local to the digikam you are using
(through teamviewer). You'll need to get the screen updates over the network,
though. Also, afaik, digikam can edit images on non-local (network) drives.

> it should be possible if you have a fiber connection, but you need also
> a fiber bandwith on server side and this is *not* likely.

I think a more likely problem is going to be the X-windows/openGL needed on
the server. In many cases, there's no need to install GUI software on a
server, and there are good reasons not to install it (simpler, so less options
for bugs and attacks).

Remco