[digiKam-users] Hide albums, filters etc.

Lukas Haase lukashaase at gmx.at
Wed Aug 12 20:37:40 BST 2020

Hi Rob, Hi Peter,

> Am 12.08.20 um 16:56 schrieb Rob Dueckman:
>> I think that hidden items is a good idea myself.
>>
>> Creating searches just to hide folders you don't care about dealing
>> this at this time seems a bit time consuming when you're trying to get
>> something done.  While it could be used to hide "private" photos, it
>> seems like it might be a really cool idea to virtually shrink the
>> working set of photos you're dealing with.  Imagine if face detection
>> would skip hidden folders/photos.  It would be great way to reduce the
>> time required for this task if you could just omit "uncle Bill's photo
>> archive you just inherited" from your current working set without
>> removing it totally from Digikam.    I imagine every tool that operates
>> would have to understand what a hidden flag is, and it would take a lot
>> of work, but I think it would be a powerful feature.

Absoluetely agree.

> You want NOT uncle Bill's photos
>
> Have a look:
>
> https://www.pks.mpg.de/~mueller/docs/suse10.3/opensuse-manual_de/manual/sec.digikam.search.html

But this only applies to a search, right? Only to results showing up as search results.
It doesn't do anything to "Dates", "Timeline", "Tags/People" or "Map".

And it doesn't help to reduce the working set for face recognitions etc. as Rob was suggesting.
By the way, this is totally relevant for me too: The bulk of shared pictures (100GB+) are stored on a fileserver
which I access over OpenVPN and the Internet. Super slow. I do not want this collection to be completely removed
from digiKam but for most of the time, I don't want it to be part of my "working set".

Best,
Lukas