[digiKam-users] Beginner question

Ronald Orenstein ron.orenstein at rogers.com
Mon Apr 20 17:11:03 BST 2020

Hi to all -
I have been looking for some time for a suitable replacement for Aperture (primarily as a DAM) and Digikam for Mac seems to be it.  I hope you won't mind if I ask a few questions as I am still learning!
1. When I use digikam to store info on offline files it does not (as Aperture does) seem to retain a thumbnail of the offline photo unless the offline disk is mounted.  Is this correct or am I missing something?
2. Is there a way to transfer file adjustments made in Aperture (referenced library), as opposed to IPTC data, to Digikam?
3.  Aside from the advanced search function, is there any way to do a Boolean search on tags (eg if I click two tags now under Browse Tags I get all the files using either tag rather than all the tags using both, or using one but not the other).  Aperture has a great function that allows you to use all sorts of Boolean operators on keywords (as well as on other information such as captions) with a few mouse clicks.  If this can't be done in Digikam could such a feature be added?
Thanks!
Ronald Orenstein
1825 Shady Creek Court
Mississauga, ON L5L 3W2