[digiKam-users] "Finding new items" stalls, mysql db keeps stopping

Matt Wilkie maphew at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 16:45:13 BST 2020

digikam 6..0, Win10 x64. MariaDB mysql 10.1

*Session 1: *Last night Digikam sat on "Finding new items 34%" for 9 or 10
hours (it read 34% when I went to bed and still at 34% when I can back).
The first 30% only took about 10 or 15 minutes.

I have 2 album on an internal local disk, 150 GB of photos, and 2 albums on
a USB SSD drive (200GB, connected by usb v2). I can browse the external
drive and create and remove files, so the drive is operating normally.

I decided to try the "cancel operation" button, after  a few moments the
status bar changed to "No active processes" so I exited Digikam. In the
short pause before DK closed I noticed the Albums panel was completely
empty.

*Session 2:* On restart I get the message "Error while opening the
database. digiKam will try to automatically reconnect to the database".  (Maria
MySQL, as I'm planning for multiple users on different computers.)

I let it spin for about 5 minutes and then cancelled. There was a
succeeding error message that I failed to capture (Windows gave it keyboard
focus while I was typing somewhere else). After that the DK splash image
showed, and that too appeared to get stalled while "Checking ICC
repository…".

Control Panel >> Services didn't show the mysql service running so I
started it.

*Session 3*: I force closed digikam.exe, verified mysql service still
active, and then started digikam again. It seemed to start normally, showed
all my albums, and stated bar reported "Finding new items" process active
again. After about 1 minute it jumped from 0 to 35%, and then a minute
later to 36%, and 37% two minutes after that.

10 minutes later it was still at 37% so I checked Services: yep, mysql was
not running. I restarted the service without touching digikam. Percentage
crept up to 38%, and then 39% a few minutes later.

So this where I am now (43%), watching services, prepared to start the
mysql service whenever I notice it's stopped again. Clearly this is not a
good state to stay in. What should I do to get to a stable place, confident
in the integrity of digikam and my photo db?

-matt