[digiKam-users] Sharing Database/Collections

BensonBear benson.bear at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 21:18:28 BST 2019

woenx wrote
> And keep a local copy of the database (it will update
> itself when changes to the library are detected anyway).

What I did not make clear is that I do not generally copy the tagging
information to the photos themselves, because in doing a lot tagging, I do
not want to have to copy all the photos over and over.  That may be
considered bad practice, but I really don't like having to copy a lot more
than necessary.  Everyone once in a while I will sync this data into the
photos, but not each time.

The reason for this is I want people doing this (who I am organized this
for) to be able to be very comfortable doing taggings of 1000's of pictures,
undoing it, etc, without being concerned that they are going to have to copy
1000's of pictures from one machine to another, as opposed to the small
amount of tagging information.

Hence what I want is a way to be able to just copy a quantity of information
that is close in size to the amount of change to the database and photos.
In the case of tagging, this is a small fixed amount for each new tag,
roughly a row in the Tags and TagTree table, and for each tagging a row in
the ItemTags table.  Mutatis mutandis for labels, captions, etc.

So one needs to in effect move the database from one machine to the other.
This is not just a file copy because the databases are different files,
because they point to different spots with the AlbumRoots.  As far as I can
see this should be the only difference, so I should be able to just change
the row in the AlbumRoots table for the (sole) collection which again, is
also a very efficient operation.   Digikam starts up after this, but it
examines each photo and takes a lot longer than it seems that it should.

I tried to post a more detailed message about this with an attempt at a
better description but it was apparently rejected as spam...