[digiKam-users] Sharing Database/Collections

Tobias Bora tobias.bora at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 17:39:42 BST 2019

I just found an interesting way to do that if you are familiar with git, even if it's not really trivial. You can use the amazing "git annex" project to version control your collection, and even keep a partial version of it locally. Git-annex allows you to sync it between several ''remotes" (can be usb key, or even encrypted google doc…), and keep only the part of the collection you want locally (git-annex always make sure that the file is always present on at least one remote before dropping the files). And all classic text files are version controlled, as with classic git.

Now, the idea is to ask digikam to store metadata *in an external xmp files* (git-annex turn all big files in read only mode, so you won't be able to include metadata inside the photo directly). These xmp files would then be kept in the git repo, and you should now be able to merge the two repos when you synchronize again two remotes.

(NB: I've not tested this myself, but I know people have been using it)

Now, if you don't want to use sidecar xmp files, git-annex provides a wax to add metadata to any file. That way, you can say "keep on my computer only files with at least 3 stars". And I *think* (to be checked) that these metadata are also mergeable. Usually, they are exported from exif info, but you can specify manually new metadata for each file. The only issue is that digikam does not support this kind of tagging. I saw a thread where somebody wanted to implement git-annex metadata in digikam, but as far as I know the project was not finished.

Hope it can help,

--
tobiasBora