[digiKam-users] Moving from Media Pro to Digikam

tsader t_sader at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 7 16:42:39 BST 2019

I think I have found a good way to move from Media Pro to Digikam while
keeping all the Catalog Sets in Media Pro intact.

In my case, my only concern is the Catalog Sets that I have created inside
Media Pro because that's how I have always organized my catalogs. To have
Catalog Sets recognized by other DAM tools has always been an issue.

The first thing I have done inside of Media Pro is getting rid of all the
keywords that I wasn't using.

- highlight all the thumbs inside the catalog
- choose Clear Annotations under the Action menu in the menubar
- DO NOT CHOOSE!!! Clear all - instead click on "Choose Fields" and
highlight all the fields and the click "Remove"
If you choose "Clear All" you will delete all your Catalog Sets too

- After that is done under the Action menu choose "Export Annotations"
- in this menu check only "Include catalog sets"
- at the bottom of the same menu check everything in regards to metadata and
XMP
- inside Digikam go to preferences -> Metadata -> Sidecars and check "Read
from sidecar files" and click ok
- the previous step was necessary for me because I have some png files that
don't have embedded metadata
- If you haven't added already the new folder to Digikam then do so as you
normally would
- if the folder already exists then highlight all the relevant thumbnails go
to the Item menu and choose "Reread metadata of from selected files"

Done

Please remember that my steps will get rid of ALL Keywords! If you want your
keywords I think it is straight forward how to keep them in those steps I
have provided