[digiKam-users] Unable to view any photo information at all

Stephen Leibowitz librestephen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 11:05:50 BST 2019

Using an external hard drive should not be a problem, so long as the drive
letter of the HDD remains constant. Even if it changes, there is a way to
make it work with a hack, but it sounds like it is unnecessary in your case.

digiKam stores little in the registry. It stores files and folders in
Users\..\Local\AppData. There you will find a configuration file named
digikamrc. You can view it inside a text editor. The [Database Settings]
section may be relevant to your problem. Instead of reinstalling digiKam,
you can erase digikamrc and any folders in AppData named digikam. But take
care. There are files and folders for other applications in AppData. Do not
erase them!

If you opted for the SqLite database, there should be four files with a .db
extension: digikam4.db, recognition.db, similarity.db, and
thumbnails-digikam.db. The default folder for them is Pictures. You can also
erase these files, and recreate them when you next run the program. It can
be a lengthy process to recreate them. But in your case, it may be worth it

If you erase the digikamrc file and then run the program, it should start
with The First Run Dialog (Welcome to digKam 6.2.0).

I think my suggestions are sound. But being cautious, I suggest you wait a
few days to see if someone has a different view on your problem.