[digiKam-users] DK inquiry

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 20 21:00:11 GMT 2019

digikam-2 wrote
> Thanks for correcting my English. English not my first, nor second
> language...

Don't worry, neither is mine :)

digikam-2 wrote
> * Are the XMP sidecars "standard" (whatever standard means, I'm not
>   sure)?
> * Do all imaging software read the XMP sidecars?
> * Can they all read the tags and the descriptions  from the XMP
>   sidecars?

According to wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Metadata_Platform XMP seems to be a
standard, and it can be written in a sidecar file, or directly in the
picture file, next to the Exif and IPTC metadata. In the wiki article
there's a list of software that supports XML, but it doesn't specify if they
use sidecars, or they embed the XMP information in the picture. I know
first-hand that Adobe Lightroom / Bridge, Darktable and ACDSee both are
compatible with XMP sidecars. Not sure about others, but these are some of
the main ones.

I think that, in theory, the EXIF metadata can also be saved in the XMP
sidecar files. Although I am not sure how that works.