[digiKam-users] Changing location of .dtrash directory

Dougie Nisbet dougie at katsura.uk
Sun Nov 10 18:07:23 GMT 2019

The Wastebasket is not something I use. For my workflow I'd ideally
prefer not to have it at all and just delete photos and they're gone.
I'm not against the Wastebasket but I'd prefer an option to relocate it
or disable it.

Having said that, it's not a big problem. It's not really a problem at
all. I delete files, then empty the Wastebin. There are lots of
utilities that contaminate my file directories with thumbnail and trash
folders. (Contaminate feels like an unnecessarily emotive word but I
can't think of anything more neutral - I don't mean it to sound
pejorative.) Geeqie, gthumb and thunar don't see to have options to have
a separate location for thumbnails for instance, and when I'm deleting
files from my trailcam SD card I need to take care not to end up with
lots of mystery space usage. I try to maintain my image directory
structure just as simple jpegs with the exif data written to the file. I
find that most portable and easiest to backup. For backup I use rsync to
write to a NAS drive and a separate server, remembering to use
--exclude=/store/media/image/.dtrash and occasionally I rm -rf
/store/media/image/.dtrash

I've come from Shotwell and there are still lots about digiKam that I
need to study, such as versioning. I absolutely love how robust digiKam
is in detecting file-system changes - this is amazingly useful, and not
having to go through a formal 'import' process but just copying files to
where I want them is great. If running rm -rf on my .dtrash directory
occasionally is a bad thing to do, please let me know and I'll stop
doing it.

Dougie