[digiKam-users] Installing digiKam on Linux Mint 19.2

Mick Sulley mick at sulley.info
Wed Nov 6 16:24:55 GMT 2019

I have been running Digikam appimage on Mint for a while now. You can
store it wherever you like, but this is what I do.

Create a directory under my home directory called .digikam and store the
appimage in there, and also future versions as they are released.
Remember to modify properties and set the permission to Execute.

Create a menu entry for it in the Graphics group.  This is not obvious
if you don't know -

  * Open the System Settings (spanner & screwdriver icon in the main menu
  * Click on Preferences > Applets (takes a second or two to open
  * Scroll down to Menu and click the gears symbol on the right
  * The Menu box opens, select the Menu tab at the top
  * Click 'Open the menu editor' middle of screen
  * Now select where to put it, I select Graphics on the left then click
    'New Item'
  * In the Launcher Properties screen give it a name e.g. DigiKam6.3
  * For Command use Browse to select the appimage file you have saved.
  * Comment is optional.
  * To set an icon click on the rocket symbol on the left and select
    your preferred icon.  The download doesn't come with one but you can
    download one from here
    https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/7085/digikam_icon and save it to
    your .digikam directory, or just use the default.
  * Close all the windows you have opened
  * You should now have DigiKam in your menu under Graphics

Alternatively you can right click on the desktop and select 'create a
launcher here' and just do the bottom half of the list.

Hope that helps

Mick