[digiKam-users] Hierarchical tags, how are they stored?

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 5 18:53:24 GMT 2019

I have been sorting some tags, as usual, and I noticed that some tags
containing hundreds of pictures were modified rather quickly (when I should
take a few minutes over the network). That let me to check the metadata, and
I observed that the full hierarchy of tags is not being written to the xmp
information, at least in some cases.

For instance, let's say I have the following hierarchy:

Canada/Ontario/Toronto

And many of the pictures in there only have the "Toronto" tag (despite being
part of the hierarchy). When scanning these pictures in a clean digikam
database, the hierarchy won't be reproduced. "Toronto" will just appear at
the root of the tag tree.

But in many cases, the xmp metadata indicates that the full hierarchy has
been saved into the metadata itself. I think it depends whether its parent
tag was explicitly used in that picture, but I am not sure.

However, I just tried right now, if I use 'Item/Write metadata to file" on
one of these pictures without the hierarchy, the metadata gets updated and
now it includes everything. So, is this a bug where the metadata is not
written to the picture when tags are reorganized (drag and drop to put them
as subtags)?