[digiKam-users] DateTimeOriginal

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Thu May 9 12:42:29 BST 2019

A developer could explain it better, but I think it's a bit more complicated
than that. I think that if any two dates match, that date has priority over
the others. That's what may be happening here. Check if the wrong date is
present in any other field (IPTC or XMP) using the metadata editor.

My personal recommendation, specially in scanned photos, is to use Exif's
Original Date (and Exif digitized date if you wish, to store when it was
scanned), and leave the other date fields empty. Other picture software will
rewrite the Exif Creation date (and, occasionally, XMP Creation date, which
shouldn't be ok), so don't rely on that field.

Also, just in case, make sure the picture metadata is re-read after making
some changes (Item, Re-read metadata from file). In my experience it was not
automatically refreshed in windows.