[digiKam-users] Suggestion for improving filtering view

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Mar 26 12:39:30 GMT 2019

On mardi 26 mars 2019 09:07:49 CET squeak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for making digikam, it's a great software :)
> I saw on digikam github page that this email is a good place for
> suggestions, so here is one little thing:
>
> With the filters panel, you can filter the images you see, by tag, flag,
> rating... If you select multiple tags you can chose AND or OR to sort
> images tagged with all the selected tags or one of them. It would be
> really cool to add a NOT system, that would show only images that are
> not tagged with the selected tags (it could also have more fine grain
> and be NOR, NAND).
> This would be quite useful to exclude some pictures from the view.
> The same would be really nice for flags as well, and maybe colors. You
> could then for example choose to see only pictures that are not flagged
> red (without having to select, green, orange and no flag).

What you want is already available in the advanced search dialog, where you
can save a search for later re-use.

Implementing it in the filter tab might have some unexpected effects:
in the case of multiple selected tags, do you want
NOT (tag1 OR tag2 OR tag3) or
(NOT tag1) OR (NOT tag2) OR (NOT tag3);
same question with AND instead of OR.

While it may be handy for some simple cases, very quickly the effects might
not be at all what you want. Or the tab gets a lot more complicated.

That said, it might be handy to have a NOT option for the colour flags,
depending on how you use them.

Remco