[digiKam-users] Newbie digikam user has questions

Martijn ten Napel jmtennapel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 09:36:37 GMT 2019

Hello Jim,

I am a Mac user as well. When I installed DigiKam, it asked me where my
folder with images was and where to put the database files of Digikam
itself.

I pointed Digikam to the folder with my images and I made a new folder for
the database. After I did this, DigiKam schede the images folder and added
everything it found to its database.

I was a Lightroom user. In Lightroom, I have set Lightroom to write all
preferences and metadata to XMP files. DigiKam reads those XMP files to
write the metadata to its database. I don't know how MediaPro works, but if
it doesn't write the metadata (like keywords and all) to an XMP file,
digicam cannot read the metadata. Maybe that is the confusion you are
experiencing?