[digiKam-users] Are video tags writed in files or only in digikam database ?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 09:14:18 BST 2019

Le ven. 14 juin 2019 à 08:47, nonobio <nonobio at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi :)
>
> What i the actual state for video metadata in digikam ?
>
> If i'm right, Digikam use now ffmpeg to deal with video metadata, but after
> adding tag or rate to my videos, it seems that these informations are only
> writed in xmp side file, not in the video file; even if i use "write
> metadata to file" button.
>
> Is this function planned ?

No. To deal with video file metadata is delegate to ffmpeg. Reading with
this backend work as expected, writting is very very limited. I use this
way in my office with a video recorder and MP4 files and it's so far
perfect. Only MP4 file can be patch in metadata with ffmpeg, as i seen.

The second and historical way will be to use Exiv2. Unfortunatly, video
support still experimental since many years, and is very instable. As i
seen in Exiv2 forum, video support will be removed for 1.0 version.

> My goal is to use digikam to organize my videos : tag, rate, etc... but i
> often use another application to play my videos (Kodi or Plex). The problem
> is there isn't link between Digikam and Kodi/Plex : i can't found my tagged
> or rated videos in these apps.

XMP is the only way to tag read only file. It's generic and standardized.
You must report this problem to Kodi and Plex team to add XMP sidecar
support. Exiv2 can read this meta files as well without any extra rule from
client applications. As both Kodi and Plex are written in C/C++, it's
possible.

Not sure that write videos tags in videos files with digikam will be the
> complete solution because for now it seems that Plex doesn't use standard
> metadata...

Why this application do NOT use standard, where metadata are well
standardized ??? Why to comlexify the game ? Why always to ask to fix
digiKam in this kind of situation.

Do you have any recommandations or do you know workaround ?
> Another tagging application for video files ?

ExifTool, written in Perl can do it, but i never experimented well to see
if all video file mime type are supported.

> Are there others viewing applications which support xmp side files ?

It must be.

Best

Gilles Caulier