[digiKam-users] "Monitor the albums for external changes"

Maik Qualmann metzpinguin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 17:54:37 BST 2019

Right, this option is new and not yet documented ((:-)) Previously, all
directories were automatically added to the QFilesystemWatcher to detect
changes in live operation. Only this also causes many problems. In the past,
digiKam even needed this function to recognize its own changes. For some
versions I have adapted digiKam to disable this QFileSystem Watcher.

When do I need it?

If you use a network collection, disable it. Network paths can not be
monitored. On OSX for even a minutes-long launch of digiKam.

You have a lot of local directories, disable it. The QFileSystemWatcher uses
kernel resources, depending on the system can end up with 30000 directories
anyway.

You do not make any changes to external files while digiKam is running,
disable it.

The initial scan is not affected, here updated, depending on the setting
digiKam the collection.

Maik