[digiKam-users] Date taken tag for video files

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Thu Feb 28 09:05:22 GMT 2019

On jeudi 28 février 2019 09:00:26 CET nonobio wrote:

> Creation_time is the wrong : "16:24" instead of "17:24" (this last is also
> "wrong" as it is the end of the capture : see my others questions).

What is the problem with using the end of capture in your particular use case?
I don't think there are many cameras that can take several videos in parallel,
so the videos will always be sorted in the order in which they are recorded,
even when using the 'end of recording' as creation time.

> So it seems to be an ffmpeg issue. Should i submit the issue to ffmpeg ?

It looks like a *camera* issue, in that the camera doesn't record the starting
time of a file. The filename is not a reliable source for date/time
information seen from a programmer's viewpoint.

For the 1h offset, best check first what are the settings on the camera and
your computer related to time zones. (E.g. camera set to French time, records
as UTC, computer set to UTC or GMT -> you'll see the wrong time).
If there's no time zone designation somewhere in the metadata, ffmpeg (or any
other library) can only read and return the time as recorded...

Remco