[digiKam-users] Newbie digikam user has questions

Jim Kahnweiler jim at jimkphoto.com
Mon Feb 25 20:25:17 GMT 2019

Thanks, Andrew. I'm at my day job, as I type. I'll have to get back to you
when I can work on DK at home.

I'm looking for a DAM that will catalog images in their current location on
my system. Then allow me to review-compare, rate, label, tag, keyword,
caption and add custom metadata to those files. The DAM should be able to
sort and find those files using a variety of search criteria. From my very
short experience, DK seems to be full-featured, but I am stymied by just
getting images into its database. I also need a DAM that will export a
selection of images, with metadata, to a PDF, with an easy hand-off to
Photoshop and Lightroom--using click and drag or open in... I've had these
features with MediaPro; Lightroom does some of them. I was exploring
digiKam for these purposes. I'm willing to purchase the right software, and
an OpenSource solution is a plus. I'm even willing to make a contribution
and help with development, if that's the price.

Thanks, again.

Jim