[digiKam-users] Newbie digikam user has questions

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Mon Feb 25 19:42:01 GMT 2019

OK, here is, I think, where you need to understand how digikam works.

digikam gives you a view onto the underlying file system. Every album is
a directory in the collection. Every directory under the location you
chose for your collection will show up as an album in digikam. Moving an
album in digikam will move that directory in the file system. Albums are
directories. Directories are albums. Directories under the collection
are visible in digikam. Directories outside of the collection are not
visible.

If you want to add photos to digikam without making a copy and they
exist outside of the collection directory, then you can add another
collection. Or you can move those files to be in the collection.
Importing images will make a copy of them. Importing is mainly used to
copy files off removable storage such as your camera's flash card. I
never use digikam myself to do this, but many folk do. I think that the
metadata is not interpreted at this stage which is why your vertical
photos are not rotated. So the new window is, I think, asking you which
photos to copy into your collection.

Does that help you at all?

Andrew