[digiKam-users] database pointed at subset of same files in rearranged folders

Ty Mayn tyrus.mayn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 22:49:25 GMT 2019

thanks for clarifying that there is no rights management. And regarding the
database I am examining its behavior during repointing.
   One focus as a new user is understanding how images may be found again
by the database when those images are rearranged into new folder patterns.
   My testing is with about 15 image files in about 5 or 6 folders, some as
subfolders. Each time of hiding the folder collection by a rename of path
its clear that the database delivers its digikam metadata by display with
the thumbnails even if the real file path of the image files has been
obscured
    I have taken the small test database (15 files) and upgraded to
Digikam6 and loaded a much larger collection of a few hundred files in
about 10 folders.....knowing that the originals of those 15 files are
waiting there to be found on the first  intake of the larger collection.
   Sure enough the programming is designed to cycle through a matchmaking
of the existing files as they are discovered  in the new larger collection.
All prior tags for those 15 test files are preserved and displayed.   I
wonder if the program even skips the brief effort to generate a new
thumbnail for those known preexisting records that point to a thumbnail.
Presumably this is all based on discoveriing  a suitable identical
fingerprint for the file based on name, dates,filesize and a hash value and
know the same database record number may be retained).
     I am not a programmer and I dont know what to call this preservation
instinct that is built into digikam.  Some programmer could have just as
easily designed to throw away all records and metadata when unloading a
collection or when loading a new collection that is missing some of the
formerly mapped image files.
    I have seen preservation behavior even where an old collection is
hidden by renaming, then unloaded, then replaced by loading a different
collection with absent files, then pointing to a new pattern of folders and
files that returns the missing files for inclusion ( rearranged folders).
     My reason for describing this is to learn what experienced users call
this and to know how dependable the behavior is.    I dont see this
behavior outlined in the digikam user manual which is excellent but finite
in scope (an undated work in progress AFAIK)
    If I were naming this "feature"   I would call it a database with
"unused record retention" and look upon it as an asset rather than
liability.  It deserves a warning in regards to what command actually
purges unused records (presumably by the maintenance tool) It also deserves
comment to know if there is any non manual trigger that kills surviving
records that are not in use in a currently loaded collection.
       I would cite the collection loading tools as  having  "record
repurposing by fingerprint"  for  "new collections with
intersection/overlap  of former record identities" . . It is clear to me
that a prior database pointed at a new image collection can have some
inheritance of metadata based on a matchmaking design.    This could
benefit from explanation of the behavior by programmers who know the
design.  A big question in this is whether the main database is purged
automatically (non manually) when certain events occur .... such as
reloading the thumbnail database.
    Users dont make any parts of the plane, each   just tries to understand
the ways it can be piloted.
Ty