[digiKam-users] either face recognition screen is buggy or I still don't understand it - at least I can say that more convenient bulk change of face tags (no auto refresh / set faces via context menu) is neccessary #V5.9.0 Windows Feb 27 2018

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 10:16:19 GMT 2019

Le sam. 2 févr. 2019 à 22:06, J Albrecht <heviiguy at gmail.com> a écrit :

> “But it makes our lives so much more convenient”. Yup. So does
> clear-cutting for cattle grazing so that we can eat more burgers.
>
> digiKam is a fantastic software package for which I am thankful and use
> extensively. I truly appreciate all of the hard work and dedication of
> Gilles and his team. Yet this “focus” on Facial Recognition is
> short-sighted and will undoubtably be proven in the future to have been
> misguided. The backlash to Facebook’s blatant attacks on personal privacy
> is a prime example of the public’s growing outrage as the incipient erosion
> to liberty continues to become more clear.
>
> "Technology or the ability to do something isn't evil. Using that
> technology in a evil way is.”  Sure, just like they always say in the mad
> US: “Guns don’t kill people, people kill people”…
>
> A comment was made in reference to the OpenSource community. Perhaps this
> community should take a look at the commercial side and see how some of
> those members actually take a moral stand:
> https://hypebeast.com/2018/12/google-employees-protest-china-search-engine
>  Or, is this silly because these people are merely “paranoid”?

True, but in fact no...

You forget one point. The data for face recognition still private, located
on "your" database from "your" computer. You control all !

The database contents sharing (for ex, when you export to a cloud service)
is very limited. With 6.1.0, all pass through an unified dedicated
interface shared by showfoto and digiKam, which can be used to share only
few basis information. All faces information management methods do not
exists here and there is no plan to add this feature.

Another point is the file metadata digiKam can set if user setup the right
option. Face tags can be registered here. And this point is true. If you
share this file in the cloud, webservice will be able to scan face tags in
background.

This is why the plugin interface is important, and especially the BQM
workflow to process files in a queue before to export. In BQM, you have
already a magic tool, named RemoveMetadata. If you process files with this
tool before to export, you break all webservice scan process to detect face
information in files.

The goal to include export tool to BQM, is to give to end user all the
possibility to increase the "your" privacy with the Internet world. I will
will do it as an unified way and automatically.

I'm aware about the faces detection and recognition "devil" uses in some
country as China, but there is no similar problem here with digiKam.

Don't forget that a lots of people want to see a working feature as faces
management in digiKam. We have a lots of users coming from Google Picasa
who want to see the face detection/recognition working as expected. You are
not alone, and developers must try to do the best for both worlds :

1/ provide advanced features.
2/ preserving users privacy everywhere.

Voila the plan for the digiKam project policy about the digiKam users
privacy.

Best