[digiKam-users] Does digiKam have database-only flags?

Jay Dickon Glanville glanvilles at rogers.com
Sat Dec 28 00:04:33 GMT 2019

Hello All. I'm trying to figure out how to do something in digiKam that I can do in the photo manager I'm currently using (iMatch).
I'd like to be able to "flag" new images with tasks I need to perform on them. Examples of these task-flags include things like "to be tagged", "to be described", "to be screened", etc (essentially, they're workflow reminders). In some ways, these flags can be viewed as being analogous to IPTC Keywords, or XMP-dc's Subject. However, I'd like these flags to be recorded in digiKam's database, and not recorded in metadata.
>From my playing around with digiKam, I've found the Pick Labels and Color Labels feature, and determined that I can configure digiKam to not write those items to metadata. So, this originally sounded like it would meet my needs. However, I don't think I can create new Pick items (to match my workflow tasks). Also, it appears that Pick labels and Color labels are disjoint: I can only apply one color at a time, whereas I would like to be able to apply 4 flags to all new images.
So, is there a way that I can:1) create flags and name then at will2) apply these flags to images3) have these flags recorded in the local database, and not in metadata
Thanks
JDG
PS: I realize that if the answer is no, I'll just have to create digiKam tags / IPTC Keywords for my workflow, and allow them to be recorded in metadata.