[digiKam-users] Search by image content

Dougie Nisbet dougie at katsura.uk
Sat Dec 21 14:08:02 GMT 2019

I have a Dropbox Plus account and on renewal I had a look at the Dropbox
Professional offering. One of the features that it boasts is search by
image content. I initially assumed that this meant the EXIF data, but
when I was trying it out I found out that it was by Image Content, in a
similar way to how Google Photos works. I did consider going for the
Dropbox professional account but it's twice the price of Plus, and I'd
only be buying it for this feature.

This started me on a bit of a digression. I've always liked how Google
Photos did an image content search but found no easy way to synchronise
my photo collection with Google. Even using the Windows 10 desktop app
which does a backup and sync was not productive, as it takes a very long
time, and does not seem to synchronise intelligently. It just adds
modified photos from my collection as if they were new photos rather
than overwriting the modified photo.

So I started looking into Query by Image Content, something I hadn't
really given any thought to until recently. It's really interesting, but
it seems that all the options are cloud based.

I'm still quite new to Digikam and haven't explored chunks of it yet but
I'm currently looking at the Advanced Search options. Am I right in
thinking it's not something that Digikam does? Or any photo manager for
that matter? Is it a feature that may be added in the future?

Dougie